Friday, September 11, 2009

The Abandoned Photo Museum

Part of my paying job is doing research. Research on the internet in one topic often leads me off into other areas - sometimes surprising, sometimes "whoops" better close this window, and sometimes JACKPOT - the "wish I'd thought of this amazing thing."


While doing research on lulu.com I found this book under Arts and Photography (it WAS first in the list of subjects) and then couldn't resist going to the website: The Abandoned Photo Museum. Go take a look at some of the abandoned photos - it is amazing how simple uncomposed snapshots with no worry about "f-stops" and composition stir emotions and form questions in our minds. Are the people who lost the photos sad? happy? looking for them? What are the stories that led to the photo loss? What is this person's story?

3 comments:

nancy neva gagliano said...

so ARBUS......true what you say. and i can't answer the questions. forwarded this to my photographer friend. thanks for the perspective, and the trip back in time.

Renee Howell said...

@Neva - had to google ARBUS! Yes, yes! Had no idea - another This I Didn't Know.

Unknown said...

really really cool ......


p.s. the tool I use for piercing metal is an "awl." You can get one at the hardware store if you don't already have one.