Saturday, August 29, 2009

Birthday Cards - Friend Made


Side note and background: My non-Art friends and I have a loosely arranged gathering of once a week for a late afternoon beverage, we show up if and when we can. We've been doing this for over a year now. It is a FABULOUS idea and on some weeks - a lifesaver and attitude adjuster.

The STORY: At a July gathering ON my birthday, I knew they would all wish me a "Happy Birthday." But, I wanted more (of course). Since I once hosted a Surprise Birthday Party for Myself, I had no problem bringing some blank shipping tags, crayons, and markers so they could make me cards. When I pulled art supplies out of my bag-o-art the friends all gave me a bit of a groan, but then one by one, they all joined in. How happy was I? The note above says: "Happy Birthday. July people are the best." Obviously from a fellow July birthday person.
Posted by Picasa

It was so fun to watch my "haven't picked up a crayon since 5th grade" friends go straight for the crayons and start creating. I also thought it was interesting that no one went for the markers - Crayola hadn't yet invented them in a package for our K-5 generation. I'm now thinking about bringing along a Halloween project for October. Perhaps I'll expand it to include some glue and fall colored paper - no scissors.

2 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

What a clever idea! so sad that they all groaned first...must be those awful memories of school art!
Happy belated Birthday! thanks for the comments! Do get an issue, you will love it, it is beautiful and really worth the price because it is full color all glossy! cfn

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

You organised a suprise party for yourself? Now that takes some doing.
Lovely that you got a tag book ...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!