Saturday, July 25, 2009

Practicing

Went onto 16th Street Mall in Denver yesterday. Totally wrong time of day - 1:00 am - hot hot hot!!!!. Testing out the new camera with my daughter. My long-term relationship camera (6 yrs) broke down...
 
You know that quote, something like, Do one brave thing every day - I think it's really do one thing that scares you every day - well, daughter and I are trying to move into taking photos of people - randoms, as she refers to them.
 
We are totally out of our elements photographing random people. Expecting to get punched or yelled at - the worst expectations, of course, of our fellow humans. But I don't know how I'd feel if someone photographed me. And in Colorado, we have laws that allow people to carry concealed weapons. A bit overactive on the imagination here I suspect.
 
We have decided, she can go up to people and ask to take their picture because she is young. I, on the other hand, have to design a "new" costume. More artsy - less, "I just drove up from suburbia" look to me. Interesting how the proper "costume" gives one the confidence to go forth and do a job. I dress for work (black pants and some sort of top), practical shoes for the walking. So - in search of - how does an over 50 woman dress to be recognized as an artist so she is believable when taking photos of randoms - Hey I'm an artist, your photo is safe with me. Any suggestions from those who have crossed this particular bridge?
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Caterina Giglio said...

Welcome back! I missed you and Neva! great post and I love the child in the window! lovely!
I know exactly what you mean about the clothing issue! especially when you have been in one industry for a long time!
I have some artysy- clothes ideas for you and we can talk about it when you come for Lunch!!! K?