Monday, October 12, 2009

Mosaic Project

 
This weekend my daughter and I took a mosaic class by Susan Weschler. Here's the starting point when I was at the point of trying to color way outside of my skill level, the size of my project and the time limits of a beginning class. Susan reined me in a bit - it's good to come back from the lost.

 
On its side to glue the half marbles along the edge. I'm in love with the broken tea cup handles. Another love point was finding typed words on the back of one of the plates. Jackpot! We used glass snippers to cut/snap the cups and plates. Susan had a great deal of control - my snips were a bit more random.

 
The center will be a mirror. The rounded marbles are on the edge of a 1/2 circle shaped ledge (3-D) it will hold - precious little things.

 
And here's a closeup. The class was fun and challenging. When we went out to dinner that night - I kept wondering what the plate I was eating off of would look like snipped into little pieces. We are thinking of our next class. I forgot to take a photo of our work next to each other - darn it. Will post the side by side as soon as I am able. We were both happy with the class and the results!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Renee! got your comment! yeah it is weird to see the leaves on top of the snow huh!? it has been instant defoliation here! snow melted today, but it is still cold!
your piece is great, mosaic is such fun, and I love the cup handles on the outside of the piece it looks like lace!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! That is just sooo cool! I love the half circle ledge and the tea cup handles. I love the idea of finding inspiration as you worked (the words on the backs of the plates) .... very un-premeditated and spontaneous. Sounds like a blast!

nancy neva gagliano said...

are you beside yourself? with awe? this is sooooooo beautiful, and i can't wait to see jaye's. . and i too, love the handles on the sides like surprises, and the ledge...OH SO PRACTICAL......and of course, the text. luv it luv it luv it.